Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Taste It Tuesday!

Hey there! Today is the first ever Taste It Tuesday and I am celebrating the upcoming 4th of July with this delicious treat.
Red, White, & Blue Cake Balls!


But first, a little bit about my blog...

I started on Teachers Pay Teachers about a year ago, creating products for my classroom and for others to use. Starting a blog has been my goal for awhile, I want to start blogging to help fellow teachers and to promote my Teachers Pay Teachers products. I also LOVE to bake! So that is where I got my name from... A Recipe for Learning! Each week, I will be posting a new recipe that I made for Taste It Tuesday and I will be posting a FriYAY Freebie, a sample of one of my TpT products.

So back to the Red, White, & Blue Cake Balls!

Making cake balls is one of my favorite things to bake. Back in college, I would make cake balls for just about everything, birthdays, bake sales, just because I want something sweet, etc.  Its a simple recipe, but takes a lot of waiting, although it is SO worth it!

First, the ingredients!


1 Box of Red Velvet Cake Mix
*You will also need any ingredients listed on the back of the cake mix box, it varies from different brands*
1 Can of Cream Cheese Icing
1 Bag of Candy Melts (found in craft stores, like JoAnn's and Michaels)
Sprinkles

Of course, you can change the cake flavor to whatever is your favorite, I chose Red Velvet, because its for the 4th of July.


Make the cake mix as the directions say on the back of the box. Bake the cake, and let it cool for about an hour. I told you there was some waiting involved...

Once its cool, you will want to cut around the very edge of the cake because you only want the soft part of the cake.
The next part is easy, just crumble up the cake into the bowl until it looks like this...



Add the icing, about 3/4 of the icing can.  Mix around until it is well combined. You might have to use your hands to get it fully mixed. It should look more like this now...

Lay parchment paper on a baking pan. Roll cake into small 1-2 inch balls, depending on how big you want them. When rolling them, make sure there are no creases/lines, you want to get them as smooth as you can. Lay onto the baking pan.


Once you have finished making the balls, put in the freezer to set for about 1 hour. Then you can decorate!

To make the coating, you will have to melt the candy melts. Follow the directions EXACTLY on the bag, so that you do not burn them. To coat them, you have to go very slow. I have tried a few different ways to coat them, but the easiest way is to use a spoon to coat around the top and edges. This is a very messy job, and you will get candy hardened all over your hands. Sprinkle each one right after you coat them. The candy melts harden very quickly, so you have to put the sprinkles on right after or they will not stick. I did red and blue sprinkles and then left some plain. This is what they turned out like...


Perfect to serve at a 4th of July party! And that's your Taste It Tuesday!







No comments:

Post a Comment