Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Back to School Tips Linky Party

Hello!

It's almost time to go back to school for some teachers! Well, I still have another month before I go back, but that doesn't mean I'm not already thinking about it!

Today, I am linking up with Hanging around Primary and Pop into Primary for a Back to School tip!


Three years ago, I was preparing for my first Open House as a teacher! I had a welcome letter, student information sheet, parent contact information, name tags, and transportation tags all set up on each student's desk. Open House came and went and I felt like a prepared, successful teacher! The first few weeks of school flew by, and one day, a new student, his mom, and the office assistant showed up at my door in the middle of a lesson. I had no idea that I would get a new student that day, and I felt so unprepared. I had to stop my lesson to greet the mom and new student. I realized I didn't have extra copies of my welcome letter, didn't know where I had put those extra name tags, and ran out of transportation tags. I told the mom I would send home more information in his backpack, and she could fill it out and return it to me the next day. 

A new student can walk in your door at any point in the year. It has happened to me many times, most of those times with no prior warning from the front office. It is always better to be prepared and ready for those new "surprise!" students. 

So, I found this pin and it has helped me be super prepared throughout the school year! 

 Click the image to pin it or click here to find the original post that I found it. This is not a picture that I took, just one I found on Pinterest. 

New Student Ready to Go Bags! 

While I am printing out Open House information, and writing names on all the bajillion things their names need to be written on, I set aside 3-5 copies of everything. I put it all in a bag and label it New Student #1. #2, and so forth. 

Examples of things that I put in each New Student's bag: 

Things that get sent home: 
-Welcome Letter
-School Information/Handbook
-Student Information Sheet 
-Parent Contact Information Sheet
-Student Contract
-Transportation Tags

Things that I take out to write their name and add to our classroom: 
-Birthday Candle 
-Desk Nametag
-Cubby Nametag
-Clothespins for behavior chart, transportation chart, wall work, etc.
-Labels for Folders

Once I have everything in the bag, I put them in a super important place, that I will not forget. Then, a few days, weeks, or months down the road, when that new student is at your door, I am ready. I can hand the parents the information that they can take home to look over and fill out important information that I need. This gives the parents a great first impression of their new teacher. I don't have to search my classroom for extras of everything. I can write the student's name on everything at some point in the day. And then I don't have to worry about it! 

I have done this trick the past two years, and plan to continue to do it every year. It is so helpful, so to the teacher who first thought of this idea, THANK YOU! 










No comments:

Post a Comment