Thursday, July 16, 2015

Using Pinterest to Plan!

Raise your hand if you LOVE Pinterest as much as I do!
 I am going to show you how to use your Pinterest to help you plan SMARTER! 


My love for Pinterest started back in 2011, while I was doing my student teaching internship. It made my OCD heart so happy! I pinned for hours on end, from DIY crafts to my future home. Once I realized what a HUGE impact this could have on teaching, I was hooked. Through Pinterest, I found Teachers Pay Teachers and other bloggers for ideas and inspiration for my classroom. It was most definitely my #1 go to my first year teaching when my brain couldn't brainstorm anymore. 

But, it can become such a cluttered, disorganized, HOT MESS. I would pin something to use for Christmas time, but when Christmas time would come, I would either a. forgot I pinned it in the first place or b. go to repin the same thing that I already pinned. Sometimes, I would search forever for that ONE idea that I just couldn't find! I'm sure we have all had that pin that just disappeared.

And my boards...well those didn't exactly help me too much. I had a Teaching Ideas board, then when I switched to Kindergarten, I made a Kindergarten board. That one had probably 500 pins before I realized, I should make different boards for each subject! So I made a Holidays board, Reading board, and Math board. But it still didn't help. 

This is what it used to look like...

Yikes!

After creating my Teachers Pay Teachers store, I decided to create a Pinterest solely for teaching! And then the lightbulb went on in my head! I could use Pinterest to PLAN my monthly themes! Since I teach Kindergarten, I love to have monthly/holiday themes. They are crafts, activities, lesson ideas, and worksheets that are all crammed into file folders. I pull each file out each month, and then search TPT and Pinterest for new ideas. 

This year, my themes are all organized by month on Pinterest! For example, my September board has apples, fall leaves, transportation, and Johnny Appleseed, since those are the themes I use during September. Now, when I plan for September, I haul out my folders and open up Pinterest to my September board and plan the whole month. (I typically plan Reading and Math on a bi-weekly basis, and my Science/Social Studies and themes on a monthly basis)

I even created a pretty cover using Power Point, so I could find each board easily. 
**Quick tip: To create a picture file, just save your Power Point slide as .jpeg)**



Here is what it looks like now


I also organized my other boards based on subjects! 


And here is what my monthly theme boards look like now! 
(Ignore the Social Studies one...I have to start pinning there!)



OR you can click on my Pinterest link to see my profile and follow me. 

How does Pinterest work for you? I'd love to hear your ideas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment