Friday, August 14, 2015

Five for Friday {August 14th}

Today, I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and posting my Five for Friday! 


This week I spend TWO whole days in my classroom! And I can't wait to show you a few sneak peeks at projects and things I've accomplished this week. School doesn't start until September 8th and I have SO much free time to spend in my classroom, that I've never had before. I love classroom decorating when it is so stress-free!

My first project was to transform this UGLY and faded cabinet. A teacher many years ago covered this with fabric, which was probably nice looking back then, but now it looked like this...


My first idea was to cover it with contact paper, but I didn't want to struggle with that on something big! Then, I thought I could paint it! With chalkboard paint! So I grabbed some chalkboard paint and went to work. I am VERY happy with the result!

I will probably do another coat of paint, then add some chalkboard border around it. I can write on my cabinet. How cool is that?!?!

I talked about struggling with contact paper... we've all been there. Even with using the lines to cut, there always ends up to be bubbles. Well, I finally got it right with this little computer table! I wish I had snapped a before picture, but it was a faded yellow with leftover sticker gunk and scratches all over. Here is the after: 

It's perfect and looks new! I wish I had more student computers in my classroom, but I will have to make it work.  I've always had 4 plus an iPad and a SMART Board, and I would love suggestions on how to make it work with limited technology!

I have finally finished my TPT Summer Project! My summer project was to make my own bright chevron classroom decor set this year! Then, I doubled my workload and promised my sister (who is starting her first year teaching) to make her classroom decor in Nautical theme! But I am finished now! And they are on sale!  


 I will be posting how it looks in my classroom, once it is all set up!

I am typically a very healthy eater. Normally, I follow the Paleo lifestyle (with a few cheat meals here and there). But the past few months, I have been eating terrible! I had just gotten in the groove of going to the gym and then I threw out my back. So I wasn't feeling my best and needed a healthy restart! Whole 30 is a great way to kick start your health! After 12 days, I am feeling great and eating healthier than ever. Now, I am {almost} halfway through Whole 30! Here is my countdown sticky notes (an idea from Kickin it in Kindergarten who also does Whole 30) I love taking off a sticky note at the end of the day.


My next countdown is: How many days until Pumpkin Season?!?! (AKA Fall) I'm still waiting for Starbucks to release the Pumpkin Spice Latte! (I'm just hoping that it's after my round of Whole30 is done) I found this cute sign in HomeGoods, and I think I will be recreating my own! I can't wait for September to decorate for Fall!



Have a fabulous FRIYAY!



6 comments:

  1. Love the chalkboard paint! I have some sad furniture in my new room that is need of a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to be able to write on it/decorate it with chalk! It is an easy and cheap way to upcycle your old furniture, you should definitely try it.

      Delete
  2. Loved your cabinet and table! They look great! :) I tried to use that paper too, and yours turned out way better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I STRUGGLED with the contact paper! It took a few tries to get it just right.

      Delete
  3. The chalkboard paint cabinet looks awesome! I love fall too! That sign is adorable. I hope you post about your DIY version. Just started following your blog:)
    Katie
    Mrs. Byrd's Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I will definitely be posting more DIY projects, I always have one or two on my to-do list! It's kinda like my stress relief :)

      Delete