Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday Made It- New Classroom Management Tool for Table Points!

I don't know about you, but I have 3 more Mondays off! Hallelujah! My first Monday at work isn't until September 14th. (Thank you BTS Work Week starting on a Tuesday and Labor Day.) I'm not a big fan of Mondays, because it means 5 more days until I can sleep in, but I love the feeling of a brand new week! Plus, my students are usually more well behaved on Mondays-vs- the rest of the week.

Today, I am linking up with 4th Grade Frolics, for my first Monday Made It! My goal this weekend was to make my crate seats, but I didn't even start them. So here is my project: A new classroom management tool for table points!

I hope you love table points as much as I do! I've used Sea Creature Cut outs, different colored anchor cut outs, and chevron table color signs that I made last year. I had one cut out on the board and one at each table/desk group. They are a super positive behavior system, as I DO NOT take away table points. I just tally them up, and at the end of the week, the table/desk group with the most gets a reward. It is also a great lesson to teach kids about tally marks and how to count them!

Every time a table/desk group did something positive- like lining up correctly, coming in and sitting down nicely, team work, respecting each other, cleaning up quickly and quietly, following directions, etc, I would give them a tally mark. This really worked when ONE table/desk group was doing the right thing, but the rest weren't. I would just praise the ONE table/desk group, and the other table/desk groups would see that I gave them a point and immediately fix their behavior. That way, I didn't have to call out the "misbehaving" groups, but rather praise the "super behavior".

This year, I am trying something new! My classroom theme is going to be bright chevron and I wanted to make a cute bubble gum machine for my door, like this from Doodle Bugs Teaching:

You can click on the picture to see more of her Candy Themed classroom...It's adorable!!!

So I am doing a NEW table points system using bubble gum machines!


Set up is easy! I am going to put these on the whiteboard, so that I can stick the gumballs up with magnets. You can also put it on a wall or bulletin board, and add the gumballs with sticky tack or tape. Laminate these so that they stay nice for the whole year! (And the tape/sticky tack will come off better that way)



           


Here's how it will work: When a table shows exemplary behavior, I add a gum ball piece to their gum ball machine. 


At the end of the day/week, the table who has the most gum balls gets a reward. You could use coupons, tokens, pencils, a trip to the treasure box, stickers, whatever works for your classroom! 


I also have table names by colors- Red. Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple.


 Click on the picture to find it at my TPT Store for FREE! 




5 comments:

  1. Very cute! It's not the management system I use, but I could totally see using the template for a math center...or subitizing. How cute would that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have used this as a math center and a letter craft! For math, I use pom poms and the gumball machine to practice adding and subtracting. For the letter craft, I used it for the letter Gg and the students wrote words that started with g- on the gumballs and glued them on!

      Delete
  2. I love your emphasis on the positive while ignoring the negative. This is a must with the culture I teach in (Middle East). Since you are using gumballs you could have a gum chewing reward. :)

    Susan
    Teaching Doodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I was part of a Positive Behavior Support team at my old school, so I love positive classroom management. Using this approach, I have had little to no behavior problems in my classroom! I love your idea of a bubble gum reward, that's so cute!

      Delete
  3. I love the candy theme but I would want sweet ALL DAY long!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete